Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: Communication and Travel

Re: Troop Capacity

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:32:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

Brian Bell wrote:
>   This is especially true with the troop capacity listed for FT/MT
> dropships. The example in MT shows that it takes a 60 MASS vehicle to
> deliver 31 vehicles and 197 combat troops (including vehicle crew). As
> was pointed out above, this is very poor odds.
>   With the FB the maximum size limitation is gone, but ships are
> generally more massive to accomplish the same thing as in FT2/MT. I
see
> this type of thing in many SF games. I would like to see this system
> revised.

Yeah, this has always kind of bothered me as well.  Basically, something
that was the size of a battleship could only carry a combat company?
This implies that starships are extremely volume inefficient.  Now, you
can argue anything you want (after all, it's a game! (8-) ), but I guess
I read Starship Troopers too many times, (or maybe Crusade (8-) )and
want
the ability to drop entire divisions if necessary.

It's at times like this that I wish I had my rule books at work, so I
could offer some ideas without fear that I'm just duplicating what's
in there.  (8-)

Hmmm.  Maybe a different multiplier for Cargo Space?  If we use FB
designs (which are roughly twice as massive for the same 'size'),
then something the size of a battleship (at 120 Mass) should be able
to move a substantial force, (a couple of battlions, perhaps a
regiment),
even when combat loaded.

You know, I'm going to wait until I get home, and then I'll remind
myself
of the exact numbers and post intelligently.  (8-)

J.

--
Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"There's only now, there's only here, give in to love, or live in fear.

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: Communication and Travel