Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Nea Rhomaioi was ...Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Communication and Travel

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:18:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

Actually there would be quite a few cases where all that would be
necessary is to seize the critical components of a colony. For example
if
you seized the integrated steel plant, they wouldn't be able to smelt
enough steel to build tanks ( OK scrap iron will let them make a dozen
or
so, but that's it.) A few raids and the BIG dam at the head of the
valley
will control a lot of farm land (Boom and you drown the valley.) If you
take over the Industrial Power plants they can only make weapons by ones
and twos in the farmers garage, but not enough to prosecute a war. The
simple fact is that a colony all by itself has too many jugular veins to
feel safe. (Unless of course it has a Plan! But that's MY book.) The
real
trick is to know which colony is vulnerable and which one has a 10mm
Colt-Kalashnikov under his dinner napkin!
IMHO
Tom Hughes

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:26:15 -0500 (CDT) jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
Atkinson) writes:
>You wrote:

>Minor peeve--note that it's only possible to actually conquer a small,
>small colony from space.  Once you get a couple million colonists with
>a homegrown industry, it becomes impossible to physically land enough
>troops to do more than raid.  Example:  Israel, with 6 million
>inhabitants, can field 13 armored divisions, and one parachute
>division
>(or is it 12 and 1?  I don't recall).	Taking down a force that big
>would require either massive and indiscriminate use of orbital support
>
>(trashing what you're supposed to be trying to conquer!) or one even
>larger--which would be prohibitive to transport.
>
>John M. Atkinson

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Nea Rhomaioi was ...Re: Communication and Travel