Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: SG actions rule clarification

Re: Communication and Travel

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@n...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:48:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

At 10:55 AM 6/11/98 -0500, John Atkinson wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>You could also assume some sort of FTL message missile, similar to
>those in >MT. I've wrote something up some time ago for my own fiendish

>delight. >Anyone else interested ?
>
>And if this were a Traveller mailing list, the flame wars would be
>commencing. . . With my prediliction for the Newtonian intrasystem
>travel and 'wormhole' (Either the Starfire or the Alderson
>system--havn't decided) it's pretty anathema to me too.

Just a quick comment... seeing as a lot of the colines are apparently
'close' to Earth (Centauri and Barnard's Star were mentioned, I believe)
I'd go with an Alderson-type system.  From what I remember of the
Starfire
holes, they don't really connect near systes to each other -- they can,
true, but don't always.  (Unlike the Heavy Gear Tannhauser Gates, which
fling you 1/6 of the way across the galaxy without blinking... though
there
are alos likely to be a l*lot* more Tannhauser Gates out there than
previously believed.) Anyway... the Alderson Drive does connect the
closers
stars, as I recall, so it would make more sense if humanity is
close-packed
in real space terms.

Though I actually favor the 'short' hop method that Jon describes. ^_^
(I
also love the stutterwarp from 2300AD....)

Later,
					Aaron

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: SG actions rule clarification