Prev: Re: SG actions rule clarification Next: Re: DS confidence checks

RE: SG actions rule clarification

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:41:30 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: SG actions rule clarification

You wrote:

>This is one of the situations that if you INTERPRET the rules in that
>way; "it doesn't say you can't so you can!", type of answers.

Actually, if you check P. 15, it says "Note that even if all the squad
is together, one action NEED NOT (GZG's caps, not mine) affect ALL
members of the squad - the player may decide to have some squad members
fire at one target (eg. the ordinary troopers and the SAW gunner),
while he uses the other action to make the squad's missle launcher fire
at another target such as an enemy vehicle."

>Jon T. and Mike Elliot have replied to a number like this, and
basically >it is not in the spirit of the rules and is another example
of trying to >min/max the rules.

I'd say it would be realistic keeping in mind the Target priority
rules.	If a squad is on a hill with bad guys coming at 'em from two
directions, the SL might very well say "A team shoot that way, B team
shoot this way."  Splitting one's fire against a single target is a
little gamey, though.

>Breaking off a detachment is another example of using the rules to
gain >advantage.

Then why is it in there?  Detachments are fairly common in RL--I've
done a squad breach with a fire team breaching, right and left
security, and a pair of guys with the '60 (Engineer platoons still have
one per squad, at least in the Guard) supporting back on a hill.
Total: 4 elements, two of one man each, plus the squad leader, who
moves around a bit.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: SG actions rule clarification Next: Re: DS confidence checks