Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Fleet Book Errata ?

Re: What makes a Carrier? (ftfb)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:10:48 +0200
Subject: Re: What makes a Carrier? (ftfb)

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> > Mass as a limit should probably be OK. However, it doesn't help the
large
> > carriers very much - a wet-navy carrier can only launch the aircraft
in a
> > single direction, which limits the launch speeds; but a space
fighter
> > carrier should be able to launch the fighters in *any* direction,
which
> > means that it can potentially launch lots of them very fast - all of
them
> > at once, if it has enough launch bays...
>
> OTOH, wet navy ships are so slow compared to aircraft that the
carrier's
> movement doesn't really matter (except for wind speed over deck). A
space
> carrier's velocity vector may make it impractical to launch in some
> directions.

Not really... not as long as you don't allow the carrier to maneuver on
the turn of launch, to give the fighters time enough to clear the ship
so
they aren't overrun by it :-/

OK, I wouldn't launch my fighters directly behind the carrier (into my
engine exhausts), but apart from that ;-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Fleet Book Errata ?