Prev: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal Next: Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal

Crew for Space Stations

From: mehawk@i... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:27:33 -0800
Subject: Crew for Space Stations

It occurred to me that a repair base is likely to
have a _larger_ Boarding Factor because a repair
base has to be able to fill out crews.	A lot
depends on what kind of planet the base orbits.
If it orbits an aboriginal inhabited planet there
is definitely a good reason for having extra marines
onboard.  Ditto for a colony world with nasty native
animals.  Also, if there are frequent natural disasters
think of how useful Power Armor could be in clearing
debris or rescuing survivors.

>From a purely military standpoint, since it is a lot
easier for an enemy to board something which is
stationary you want a large BF to prevent the base
from being taken Trojan Horse style.  Yes, it isn't
going to have any offensive boarding potential but...

Under FTII I always liked the idea of boarding
pods, non-ftl escorts with a Needle beam for targetting
engines and a boarding crew as well.  Once I get the
FTIII book I'm going to see what the cheapest effective
boarding pod design is.

Michael Sandy

Prev: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal Next: Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal