Prev: Re: Fighter Mounts Next: Re: Stargrunt PA vs. regular Infantry

Re: Ship (In)Stability - Joke

From: Tim Schmidt <tims@t...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:26:24 -0700
Subject: Re: Ship (In)Stability - Joke

Michael,

In normal space operations there would be little to toss a ship around
waves.	This could happen if going very fast through an area with lots
of
small gravity wells or lots of space dust.  I would imagine that space
ships
would try to avoid both kinds of areas.
As far as stability loss due to battle damage, the critical factor would
be
the thrust of the ship.  If the ship has multiple engines annd loses
them
from 1 side, it might cause the ship to tumble out of control.	My
reading
of the rules is that they don't allow this.  The little histories they
give
of specific actions have ships loosing 1 ship thrust and it just slows
them
down.

Tim

Michael Blair wrote:

> Ship (In)Stability - Joke
> Do IJSN (Imperial Japanese Space Navy or whatever they are called)
ships
> have to make an involuntary roll if they lose more than half of their
> damage boxes?
> Not very funny I know but I have been reading about ship stability and
> it appealed to me.
>
> Distantly related true (?) story.
> In bad weather one of the Larne-Stranraer (Scotland - Northern
Ireland)