Prev: Re: Fighter Mounts (Was:More Fleet Book questions) Next: Re: Fighter Mounts (Was:More Fleet Book questions)

Carriers

From: Jeremey Claridge <jeremy.claridge@k...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:05:31 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Carriers

 Well first foray into this message group.

Very interesting debate about carriers so he's my opinion.
(for what its worth)

To me what is needed to distinquish between a carrier and
a battleship, destroyer etc is armour. With all the ideas
about launch methods for fighters, unless the external
option is developed any carrier will have several launch
tubes, hanger bay doors etc. If we applied some penalty
for basically filling a ship with holes for fighters to
occupy then a carrier would be alot weaker. No player
will want to weaken a frontline vessel just for fighters.

I know buy having hanger bays you limit a ships weaponry
I was thinking of something a little more servere!
Carriers are fragile and should be protected by other
ships.

Ok on th point of launching fighters. Most of the
examples of external systems in my opinion also have
pilots who are fanatics. Having a system where if you
launch, fight, return with no garantee that you could
dock again takes nerve.

Also to gain better numbers of launches this should use
examples already quoted.

Battlestar Gallactica has different landing bays to
launch bays. This system would allow no penalty to
launching and retriving fighters at the same time.
However this system would not allow all fighters to be
launched at the same time.

B5(the station) Has a very simple launch method and gives
the impression that all fighters could be launched
together. But I suspect that the down side is docking
those fighters again.

Maybe what we need is to actualy pay for launch bays and
docking bays separately. Therefore a ship with 2 launch
bays and 1 docking bay can launch both fighter groups
together but only dock one at a time.

With this method its kept simple and you are still using
the idea of flight controls by having to pay for the
specific fighter bays.

Anyway good mailing group cheers
Jeremey Claridge
jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk

Prev: Re: Fighter Mounts (Was:More Fleet Book questions) Next: Re: Fighter Mounts (Was:More Fleet Book questions)