Prev: Re: Fighter Mounts Next: Re: Carrier status, was Re: More Fleet Book questions

Re: More Fleet Book questions

From: jfoster@k... (Jim 'Jiji' Foster)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:40:55 -0500
Subject: Re: More Fleet Book questions

At 18:51 6/1/98, Samuel Penn wrote:
>Are there any plans to tidy this up? I've always felt that there
>should be a 'launch bay' type system, which allows the launch/recovery
>of one fighter group per turn. Currently (especially now since mass
>limits have been removed), a mass 200 carrier with 8 fighter groups
>can only launch as quickly as a mass 50 carrier with 2 fighter groups.

Except that a launch bay (to my mind) limits the carrier to genres that
have 'traditional' internal bays: Star Wars, B5, Battlestar Galactica.
What
about a design that has fighters mounted to the exterior of the ship? Or
with each fighter in an individual pod (LOGH)? Dedicating mass to an
additional 'bay' doesn't seem to make sense in those cases.

>Stops all the questions about what a carrier is as well.

IMO, the mass and space costs associated with fighters as is is enough.
The
'FlightCon' system should be enough to distinguish carriers as a class.

------
Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK / TIP #28 /
PPIG #42

"The wisest and best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions,
may
be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke.
"
    - Jane Austen, _Pride & Predjudice_

Prev: Re: Fighter Mounts Next: Re: Carrier status, was Re: More Fleet Book questions