Prev: Re: Vector movement Next: Re: Carrier status

Re: Vector movement

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:11:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Vector movement

John Atkinson wrote:
> How much additional
> complication does the vector system add to the game?	I know I try to
> think about moving a ship in three directions at one time and my eyes
> glaze over.  How much does the vector system detract from the
> incredibly simple nature of the FT rules?

It does detract, by adding some complications.	So does the reroll rule
for d6s, and the whole concept of the SMB.

I guess what it comes down to is what you feel comfortable with.  Jon
has
always emphasized in the Introductions to every game he's written that
the important point is to have fun, and to not use the rules that  you
don't feel comfortable with.

Some universes I feel a vector system is required: B5 or Honor
Harrington
for example.  My current FT Racing.  Others, a cinematic feel is more
appropriate:  Star Wars or Star Trek.

What it comes down to is what your preferences are for simplicity vs.
realism.  Do whatever you want to do.  The GZG MIBs won't break down
your
door.  I think.  (8-)

The only recent con game I've run worked out really well using EFSB
vector
movement.  On the flip side, it was only two people, and both of them
were pretty hard-core.	For demo games, I'm inclined to say use
Cinematic,
unless you're also using a Universe draw and need to preserve that
flavour.
(The idea of an Omega turning like the Enterprise... Hmmmm.  And no
B5 vs Enterprise arguments, please.  (8-) )

J.

--
Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"There's only now, there's only here, give in to love, or live in fear.

Prev: Re: Vector movement Next: Re: Carrier status