Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: RE: Vector movement

RE: Vector movement

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:53:58 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: RE: Vector movement

On 2 Jun 1998, Geoffrey Stewart wrote:

> The vector system does add some complication, but not much,

True, but my finding at last year's Ropecon was that the movement system

is already too complicated for a con demo. The only sensible games I
managed to play were with players who already knew the system -- even
though I had made a large cheat sheet describing the procedure and
format
of the orders.

> AND it makes it a
> much better game as well. The range of manoeuvres increases, position
becomes
> much more important, and whole areas of new tactics are opened up. The
extra
> work and complication is not great, and the benefits are. When I run
demos I
> will be using the vector system, and emphasing the "realism" of the
system as
> opposed to "cinematic" movement of the ST type.

I'm not too thrilled with the vector system. I passed my high school
physics, so it is painfully obvious to me that the system abstracts away

even the basic laws of dynamics.

At least the cinematic system honestly says what it is.

The problem is that with a real realistic system, you soon end up
playing
the ship's navigational computer instead of the captain.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Vector movement Next: RE: Vector movement