Prev: Re: FB - emblems Next: Re: Free Cal/Tex

Re: FB - emblems

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 09:11:43 +0100
Subject: Re: FB - emblems

>On Sat, 30 May 1998, Ground Zero Games wrote:
>
>> Yes, but though common usage calls it the Union Jack (even over
here), this
>> term is (IIRC) properly used ONLY when it is flown on a ship - when
used
>> for all other pureposes it is simply the Union FLAG.
>
>Interesting. Being a (damn) furriner, *my* first thought was Union as
in
>ACW - North, before I thought about it.

An understandable mistake, since we Brits have so many different ways of
referring to our country (or countries) - when I went over tho the US
for
GenCon a couple of years back I spent a while trying to explain the
difference between English and British (terms that many Americans seem
use interchangeably), and the precise meaning of the "United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland" - the "Union" to which the flag
refers.

>Interestingly enough, both these flags *and* the confed flag share the
>colors.

Yeah, funny that..... :)

>Oh, I guess every NAC political group has their pet theory about the
>*real* origin of the colors -- Quebec separatists included (whatever
>their status might be in 2183).

I'm not going to get involved in this one.... :)

Jon (GZG)

>--
>maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio)	    | A pig who doesn't
fly
>+358 50 5596411 GSM +358 9 80926 78/FAX 81/Voice   | is just an
ordinary pig.
>Maininkitie 3C14 02320 ESPOO FINLAND | Hate me?    |	       - Porco
Rosso