Prev: Re: Bogey Classes FB Next: Re: Bogey Classes FB

Gauss guns & recoil (was RE: Low Tech Scenarios)

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 13:05:32 +0100
Subject: Gauss guns & recoil (was RE: Low Tech Scenarios)

In message <895681298.119901.0@kryten.acs.bolton.ac.uk>
	  Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:

> Except that if you want the high velocities for penetration and KE
> and you want the high cyclic for volume of fire, then you're looking
> at actually producing a *greater* sum of forces to accelerate the
> rounds in a given time increment in a mag-gun than in a chem-gun.
> Which translates to more total recoil.

I know little about guns, but a bit about maths. Presumably
the recoil comes from the momentum of the round? If you can
have higher velocities but lower mass rounds in a guass rifle
(which always seems to be the idea of them in SF), then the
momentum can be lower (mv) but the kinetic energy (0.5mvv)
can still be equivalent or higher.

I think.

--
Be seeing you,	     http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/Gaming/Gaming.html
Sam.		     ----------------------- Roleplaying and Wargaming

Prev: Re: Bogey Classes FB Next: Re: Bogey Classes FB