Prev: FTSR Updated Next: Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders

Re: Bogey Classes FB

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:06:45 -0700
Subject: Re: Bogey Classes FB

[snip]
>The question of bogey identification came up in a v-small PBeM game
I've been
>trying to run. What I would do is roll 2d6, keeping the rolls seperate.
One
>would be a +/- roll (eg, odd = +, even = -). The other would detail the
very
>approximate Mass of the target ship. The numbers would range like this:
>
>1,2 = +/- 20 Mass, 3,4 = +/- 30 Mass, 5 = +/- 40 Mass, 6+ = unable to
obtain
>a Mass reading

The problem I have with this is that it's not easily represented on the
tabletop - and probably not on a PbEM map either I suspect. That was a
strength of the old system: three types of counters, and that's it.

IFF (sic) you went with the log4 base that I put out there, you'd need 4
or
5 types of counters (one for each Class). Or, if you went with a
straight
log10 that was suggested, you'd only need three.

I like the idea of SIMPLE, but not simplistic. Though you method
provides
uncertainty and detail, I think it involves too much dice rolling. I'd
prefer a simple counter that cn be flopped out on the map by the referee
at
a glance.

Schoon

Prev: FTSR Updated Next: Re: Friendly Fire was RE: Back to Platoon Leaders