Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Morale

From: Tony Christney <acc@q...>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:03:57 -0700
Subject: Re: Morale

At 06:52 AM 5/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Re: Morale rules. (I know another tangent). With most wargames, most
>of >your battles are resolved through attrition, (regardless of the
>
>Winning battles through attrition is to the art of war as a paint by
>the numbers kit is to the Mona Lisa.
>	     Frystaat military axiom[1]
>
>morale >rules if any). In real battles, you are defeating the enemy's
>morale or >will to resist. Inflicting the greatest shock in the
>shortest period of >time. That's why to me a good set of morale rules
>would show losses >inflicted in a very short period of time stopping
>forces as opposed to >prolonged losses over a long period of time. For
>
>I think DS would be much improved by rules for morale of entire force,
>rather than just the platoons.  BTW, am I the only person who thinks
>that it's damn near impossible to break a normal-sized platoon which
>starts off confident?

Yup, I have found this to be true in both DSII and SGII. The other
two people I game with and I are going to try some new morale rules.
The concepts are, I think, very sound, but still need to be playtested.
The basic idea behind it is that units cannot fail a morale test: they
must roll until they pass it. There is quite a bit more to it than this,

but I don't want to post the full rules until we have finalized them.

>example, a company losing >50% casualties over the space of four hours,

>might still be combat >effective, but a company losing 50% casualties
>in four minutes is probably >gonna pack it in.
>
>Probably?  Unless they've got the NKVD behind them with HMGs. . .
>
>[1]Name that quote!
>
>John M. Atkinson

	Tony Christney
	acc@questercorp.com

Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios