Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Back to Platoon Leaders

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 07:02:47 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Back to Platoon Leaders

You wrote:

>2.	The Platoon Commander and Platoon Sergeant should remain within
>6 inches of a squad at all times (come on we don't want Audie Murphies
>running all over the place). They may join a squad at any time, but do
>not take control of the squad unless it is the HQ squad. (From my own
>experience the Section Commander is generally going to do a better job
>of running his own section then the LT or SGT!).

I would permit PL/PSGs to hop from squad to squad, even if that takes a
turn or two.

>Given that it is generally accepted that all troops will have built in
>helmet radios, the sight of the LT running up the hill with the Sig
>trailing along behind, joined by the umbilical of a hand set lead will
>not be seen on the battlefield of 2188!

Heh. . . My current PL carries the radio himself.  But he's an odd
duck.

>In most TO&Es the HQ squad becomes more of a support squad, perhaps

Exactally.  Lots of machine guns, and most of the anti-armor assets
would be concentrated there.  In the TO&Es I'm throwing together, a LI
support squad has four SAWs and 2 GMS/Ps (subject to change, still
first draft).

>Okay, any comments?

Very good.  This 1)Allows PL/PSGs to continue moving forward without
"wasting" an action, and 2)Provides leadership for the support and
assault elements both. (Or however you want to divvy out a mission)

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios