Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Re: Mobile mines

RE: Mobile mines

From: John Skelly <canjns@c...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 01:17:07 -0400
Subject: RE: Mobile mines

I just finished watching a discovery station special on this.  Some of
you do show a lack of imagination, humorous though what you did think
of.  I can't get the funny image of dinner plates out of my head.

The show I watched had something like a tele-operated atv with a rocket
launcher.  They then showed a tank driving by, which was successfully
knocked out.  I thought it was really neat, especially considering the
thread.

While I agree that robotic drones is something I don't want to play, I
know it could happen.  When I said robotic mines a lot of you thought of
teller mines sprouting legs and walking around.  This, while being
funny, in a Simpsons way, is not how I see it.	I see, much like in the
show, a small robotic atv that is given orders when placed.  Something
like: sit here, engage enemy tanks with AT rocket.  Now instead of
laying 20 $100.00 indiscriminate mines, you place a $2000.00 dollar one.

In game terms, I would have to agree with John in saying it wouldn't be
much different than a normal minefield except with the ability to
determine friend from foe.

For those of you arguing that nothing will replace mines as they are
today: remember the initial resistance to smart bombs.	Smart bombs are
used to great effect along side 'normal' bombs today.