Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Mobile mines

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 20:55:21 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Mobile mines

You wrote:

>Duh, but excuse me for asking, but just what are the mine clearers
doing >when this dinner plate thing just digs itself out of the ground
and >wanders across the trail and then digs itself back into the
ground? A >couple of sharp shooters could take those babies out with
one or two >bursts of their AR's. I think a mobile mine field is a good
idea but it >needs a little more work on just what that would
constitute. Mobile could >mean that the mine field deploys itself, or
that it reconfigures itself >on command or something, but move around
on its own? If it could do that >I would have to ask for the rules on
my "assault mine field" it would be >perfect for assaulting a fixed
position. Could you imagine the fun you >would have when a mine crawled
into your foxhole? No troopers, just the >attack of the dinner plates
that go Boom!

Here's why I didn't even want to get started on these lines.  Let me
quote from the Dirtside II book.

"Basically, this is a game about armored warfare - that is, battles
using tanks and mechanzied infantry.  As such, it is really an
extrapolation of present-day warfare in a future setting. . . Thus
Dirstside II reflects the 'popular' view of SF combat - troopers in
powered armor suits, huge hovertanks, lasers and railgun. . . Perhaps
tanks and infantry will survive in some form, perhaps they won't; here
we assume they will, becaue a game terrain full of nicely painted
figures and AFVs is much more fun than an empty battlefield with a
couple of robot drones flying over it!"

Yes, I am trying to keep things 'modern'.  Because if you assume too
much development on autonomous combat drones (be they 'mobile mines' or
robot infantrymen) or Artificial Intelligence, it becomes "I send my
robots at your robots.	Opposed die roll--I bought Superior robots, of
course.  Oh, I loose.  Damn!  See you next week, Ted."	And that isn't
my vision of Dirtside.	If you disagree, feel free to.	But please
consider the implications of this track.  I, for one, would insist you
paint up a couple thousand teeny-tiny robots.  And then still wouldn't
play you, because whatever you're doing, it's _not_ Dirtside.

Yes, this is personal opinion publicly expressed.  Yes, I expect people
to disagree.  Yes, I welcome a philisophical, polite, and rational
debate on the subject.	No, I have no interest in being slammed for
having an opinion on what is and isn't Dirtside.  I know I didn't come
up with it.  If that's all you have to say, save the electrons.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios