Prev: Re: FleetBook - minor error/errata for FAQ Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: NVDoyle <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 11:51:10 EDT
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

In a message dated 98-05-17 09:07:04 EDT, various peoples write:

 >> Just look at the Russians versus the Afghan Tribesmen for that.  I'm
not
an
 >> expert on it by any means but it looked to me like the Russians took
 >> hammering despite having the better technology.

 >Well that's not necessarily the case, they had teh exact same weapons
and
> technology as the Russians at tehlower levels. They just lacked the
numbers,
> soem of the commo gear, rdf, ew, heavy equipment and weapons. they did
have
> those shiny nice new stingers though <g>. >>

Well, the Mujahedin had a lot of varied weapons, from black powder &
pre-WW1
single shot bolt actions, up to AK74s captured from Soviets and acquired
from
Democratic Republic of Afghanistan forces who defected.  Vehicles were
never
in any sort of supply.	Anything more complex than a field radio was
nearly
non-existant, until late in the war.  Until the Stingers began to
migrate in-
country, the Russians were winning.  Admittedly, it was more like
creating a
solitude than a victory; they just sort of depopulated the areas that
they
wanted to control.  I think that by the Russian withdrawl there were
more
Afghanis in Pakistan, than in Afghanistan.  It was a well executed
invasion
(some neat dirty tricks), followed by a brutal prosecution of a war
against
the resistance.  It has provided a lot of source material for DS2/SG2
battles.
A moderate-tech force with medium motivation against a much less
well-equipped
force, with high motivation and excellent stealth techniques.

Prev: Re: FleetBook - minor error/errata for FAQ Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete