Prev: Re: Conversions to DSII complete Next: RE: SG2 Unit Coherency Question

RE: Low Tech Scenarios

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 17:36:15 +1000
Subject: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

-----Original Message-----
From: jatkins6@ix.netcom.com [mailto:jatkins6@ix.netcom.com]

>Nao, can't believe that a black-powder weapon has same impact as a
>gauss rifle.  Larger caliber, but _much_ lower muzzle velocity.  Leave
>it d8 or so.

You may wish to reconsider this; the British Martini Henry fired a large
caliber, low velocity round that inflicted horrendous wounds. The soft
lead projectile deforms immediately on impact and due to the large
projectile weight will impart a very large amount of energy to the
wound. A lot of heavy caliber black powder weapons are like this.

Lo-tech is relative but should not be equated to Low Effectiveness; The
rules give a Lo-Tech assault rifle a FP of 2 and Impact of d8. This
reperesents the M16/AK47 of the 70/80/90s. Not too difficult to believe
that the Impact of the Martini Henry could be a d10. It is the FP rating
of 1 I might contest. ROF of how many rounds a minute? Difficulty in
reloading kneeling or lying?

We are talking squad fire here not Skirmish level individual fire.
Trying to balance rates of fire and accuracy of weapons will be the
challenge rather than the impact of the weapons projectile.

Plenty more research material here I'm thinking.

Owen G

Prev: Re: Conversions to DSII complete Next: RE: SG2 Unit Coherency Question