Prev: RE: Painting ALIENS (TM) Next: Re: Mines 8 (!)

Re: Random ramblings.

From: NVDoyle <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:51:52 EDT
Subject: Re: Random ramblings.

>Anyone got suggestions for figs that aren't wearing body armor and look

>like they could qualify for the 8" move rate?	:)  I'm working off the
>black-and-whites in the Geo-Hex catalog.

I like to use some of the PAU troops - standard BDUs, moderate to heavy
packs,
most with no helmet - they kind of scream Selous Scouts, LRRP,
what-have-you
light forces.  Personally, I'd like to see some of the PAU troops in
combat
shorts.  That would add something, I think.

>So anyone got
>ideas on how to run a demo game with multiple newbies, one umpire, and
>a set of figures that was never intended to provide both sides?

Having run things like this before, the best solution that I've found is
take 2 sides, divide up whatever forces you have as evenly as possible
(armor,
infantry, arty, air, whatever), even if this comes up with some silly
unit
composition, and have a meeting engagement with a lot of varied terrain.
Avoid buildings unless you know the urban rules real well.  Have lots of
hills
& woods.  Start both sides on either far edge of the table (about 12"
from the
edge), maybe set a few objectives, but _make_ them engage - that's what
the
newbies want to do.  If somebody wins just by better manuvering, it may
be a
great victory as far as a regular player is concerned, but especially if
you're poaching from Epic, they'll want lots of combat.  This also gives
them
a taste of the DS morale/command system - one of the best aspects of the
game.
Another, very useful, sneaky trick - use some Epic minis if you're going
to be
competing directly with the GW monster.  This will spark interest, and
draw
people to your table.  I have a lot of old (1st ed) Epic stuff, and it
sees
use in DS2 regularly - representing a military culture with very little
money,
brains or technical innovation.  Great Bad Guys for newbie games.

I'll have to re-check in DS2 for the multiple firecon rules.  It's been
while - last time was when I converted my Ogres (Flee! Run
awaaaaaaaaaaay!).

Noah V. Doyle

Prev: RE: Painting ALIENS (TM) Next: Re: Mines 8 (!)