Prev: Painting ALIENS (TM) Next: Re: Painting ALIENS (TM)

Re: Mines 8 (!)

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:47:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Mines 8 (!)

>I recall seeing a documentary about Kursk, in which an elderly Red
>Army
>sapper said that Soviet war-produced mines were so edgy and unsafe
>that they
>preferred to use German ones nocturnally "appropriated" from
>minefields!

Colonel Fertig of "American Guerilla in the Philippines" tells that they
used the explosives from washed up mines for reloading their ammo. It
gave quite a kick. As a matter of fact the local curtain rods were .30
cal so they cut them into bullet lengths and the women sat and rubbed
them against rocks until they were pointy. This is how they reloaded
their .30 cal ammo before the US got back in touch with them ( the US
never did give them all the stuff they needed.)

It just goes to show you how little "tech" you need for reloads!

Tom Hughes

>Such a practice might happen on the kind of outback world you mention
>in
>your slugthrower post- I'm sure an isolated planet with very small
>forces
>and strict limits on certain munitions would make a worthwhile
>minicampaign.
>
>Rob
>
>"Rob Paul
>
>Dept of Zoology
>Oxford University
>South Parks Road
>Oxford
>(01865) 271124
>"Auld an bald!"
>"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Painting ALIENS (TM) Next: Re: Painting ALIENS (TM)