Prev: Re: [ADMIN] List Practice Next: Re: FT Battle Scenerio

Re: [ADMIN] List Practice - Reply

From: Phillip Atcliffe <P-ATCLIFFE@w...>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:11:30 +0000
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] List Practice - Reply

'Twas the voice of the Jons, I heard it declare...

Or, rather, Jon-the-list-supremo posted the "rules of the list", to wit:

>> 1) No attachments.
>> 2) No personal arguments.
>> 3) No irrelevancy.

And then Jon T. (remember him? The guy with the game company? B-) )
replied:

> Could I add a vote for a FOURTH rule: NO "ME TOO" POSTS!!! When
someone offers to email something to any members that want it, and asks
those interested to reply to him BY PERSONAL EMAIL, could people PLEASE
actually take note of this and think before hitting the "reply" button??
[Snip.] <

I'll support that, as I do the existing 3, but I'd like to make a
further request:
would people _please_ make sure that they "sign" their posts, or have a
.sig file,
or _something_, which tells the list their e-mail address! Why? 'Cause
some
mail software (like mine!) strips off or truncates "Message From"
information, so
that, for instance, Jon T's mail appears to come from "jon@gzero.du" --
which is
not a lot of help if I want to reply or write to him rather than to the
list!

So, if we want to eliminate "me, too" posts, we need to make sure that
it is
possible for listmembers to contact each other in a fashion that doesn't
involve
using the list as a message drop. The easiest way I know to do that is
to ensure
that your e-mail address is included in every message that you send.

Phil, who tries to practice what he preaches (see below).
"Sic Transit Gloria Barramundi"
   (Or, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!)
   -- not Douglas Adams, but me: Phil Atcliffe
			      (p-atclif@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: [ADMIN] List Practice Next: Re: FT Battle Scenerio