Prev: Re: bayonettes are too a useful device Next: Fleet Book

Re: Dolphins In Space (BRIN) [ Some SPOILERS for "Startide Rising " ]

From: alun.thomas@c...
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:52:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Dolphins In Space (BRIN) [ Some SPOILERS for "Startide Rising " ]

Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 06, 1998 9:07 AM, alun.thomas@cbis.com
> [SMTP:alun.thomas@cbis.com] wrote:
> >
> > Anyone want to run the battle from "Startide Rising" ?

> Ever notice there's a very nasty alien race in this very much
> like the Shadows in visual appearance and disposition

The Tandu ?
Hmm, hadn't thought of it before, but you're right - except
that their activities are (just about) legal - although I doubt
that many races would risk making  too much of a fuss about it.

The Uplift suplement for the GURPS role-playing game suggests
that they've caused the extinction of several races whilst taking
part in official wars to enforce galactic rules.

> And the water vapour in space weapon, one of the more memorable parts
> of the final battle. It would be an interesting Scenario using Real
Thrust
> Rules.

Yes, it could be fun, although there could be a lot of ships around.
One way to handle it could be to define a large number of fleets (10-20)
And place one of them in orbit around the planet (looking for the
Streaker).

Each turn after that, another fleet arrives at a random point on the
edge
of
the board, until all of the players are running a fleet. After this, if
fleet is
destroyed (or withdraws) its player draws another fleet and enters
again.

Destroyed ships have a chance (1/6 ?) of crash landing on the planet to
effect
repairs. In each turn in which there are ships crashed on the planet,
roll
1 die
for each crashed ship on a 6, the ship launches and heads for the edge
of
the
table (is it running because any combat will wipe it out, or have the
dolphins
hijacked it ?)

What do you think, could something along these lines work ?

> The Uplift War is very much a geurilla ground based affair, though
> the Avian adversaries are interesting.

Possibly one for the Stargrunt players, but as you say its not really a
stand up fight - the Terragens know they couldn't beat the Gubru in
a straight fight.

> I never did get around to reading Brightness Reef though (did it close
> the story on the first ones?)

Well, its the first part of a trilogy, and I'd been trying to hold out
until
all three were out - unfortunatly, I had a critical willpower failure a
couple of months ago :-(

It doesn't finish the story (obviously) but it does continue it - in the
same
sort of way that "The Uplift War" continues "Startide Rising" - ie its
main
focus is on a different set of characters in a diferent location.

It does look like the next two books may continue it more directly (or
Brin could just be teasing).

I enjoyed it, but I'm now left waiting for Brin to get on and write the
next two
books :-(   Anyone know when the second book's due out?

(due to the above mentioned lack of will power, Brin's not the only
author
I'm waiting for - grrr!)

Alun.

Prev: Re: bayonettes are too a useful device Next: Fleet Book