Prev: Re: Scale? That belongs on fish Next: Re: ECM and EW

Re: Wire Obstacles

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:23:54 +0100
Subject: Re: Wire Obstacles

G'day,
	Just a dumb question. You may have covered this already as I
haven't been
following very closely. But what kind of molecules are we talking about?
What kind of molecular bonds? If they're only joined by the kind of
molecular bonds I know about wouldn't appropriate electric/magnetic
fields
break it up (by exciting the electrons in the bonds enough so that they
jump out of that orbital thereby breaking the bond - if they're not in a
lattice of some kind I would have thought this was a strong
possibility)?
Sorry if this really dumb,

Beth

At 09:28 8/05/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jon wrote:
>I see Monofilament as a case of setting up the dispenser, standing way
>the hell back, pressing a button, and a whole mess of it shoots out.  I
>can't think of how you'd work with it.  And don't forget that it's damn
>near impossible to clear totally, so you can't use it on real estate
>you plan to own after the war.
>
>Actually the problem with MF is that it requires tension and force to
work.
>Concentina Wire has tension and strength and sharpness.  The shapness
is
>the efficiency at which the wire reflects energy back (the rest going
into
>compressing and stretching the wire).	The surface that the CW works
>against must be firm (like a limb or a steel pole) so that it can
easily
>reflect the energy back and it must have a surface strength that is
less
>than the energy reflected back (like a limb but not like a steel pole).
>
>Now then, the problem with MF is that is is sharp enough that it can
cut
>through a steel pole, but unless it is perfectly efficient, which it
won't
>be because it is manufactured and there are bound to be imperfections,
some
>of the energy is going to go back into the wire. The wire isn't very
thick
>so you are relying on the strength between the molocules to hold it
>together. this means that if you repeatedly beat on it it will break.
(You