Prev: SV: Real Real Real Thrust (Was: Re: Lunar combat ) Next: Re: Monofilament wire, was Re: More merc news

ADTDL page has lots of stuff on combat engineering

From: "Peter Mancini" <Peter_Mancini@o...>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:35:02 -0400
Subject: ADTDL page has lots of stuff on combat engineering

http://www.atsc-army.org/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/5-102/Appd.htm#s11

Some of it, all it probably, can be used in DSII or SGII. I was
intrigued
by the Wire obstacle details.  1 Platoon hour to lay 300m of Satan's
Slinky.

Now we just need some rules for how MF would work.  There are a lot of
web
sites that talk about MF but they discuss it in terms of textiles and
fishing rods. The two types I've seen are Nylon and Glass. I had always
assumed metal, but I guess it need not be.  If these are true
monomolecular
filiaments, how is it that they are not terribly dangerous? Is it we are
wrong to assume that they are difficult to handle? Also, if they are so
good at cutting that even gravity offers enough force, how would you
store
it?

I think that a tight, tripwire of MF is dangerous, but a loose thread is
not. Picking up a lose thread must not be dangerous and their ability to
cut through anything must be somewhat mythological (otherwise a
struggling
fish would be able to easily dislodge a hook on the stuff - either the
hook
would be cut or the fish would lose his jaw.)

If anyone finds a good website with information on MF post it here, I'd
like to consider adding it to a scenario.

--Pete

Prev: SV: Real Real Real Thrust (Was: Re: Lunar combat ) Next: Re: Monofilament wire, was Re: More merc news