Prev: Re: Lifepods Next: RE: Wire Obstacles

Real Real Real Thrust (Was: Re: Lunar combat )

From: alun.thomas@c...
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 14:10:58 +0100
Subject: Real Real Real Thrust (Was: Re: Lunar combat )

Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:

> > A proper-physics lunar combat game could be fun.... :)

> Perhaps, but my experience suggests that finding players for
> proper-physics *anything* is nigh impossible. They either hate the
> calculus, or they hate not being in control (which comes out of not
doing
> the calculus). A fully computerized game with simply controls (like
> Asteroids) might be popular just for laughs...

Calculus ? As in differentiation and integration ?
I don't see that an inability to calculate your ship's co-ordinates to a
few decimal places is going to be a problem - so long as you've got a
rough feel for the way things move, you should be ok.

> Hmmm... maybe I should write proper-physics vector movement system for
FT
> (starting with ditching instant acceleration and discrete time) just
see
> if one of the vector system proponents would really try it.

Hmm, well you can ditch instant acceleration quite easily:

     [assuming you've got a marker next to the base of the ship,
     showing its direction of motion, and that you have its speed
     written down]

     1) Move the ship by its current speed. Leaving the marker
     at the ship's old position.

     2) Move the ship in the direction of any thrust applied, but only
     move it by half the value of the thrust.

     3) Move the marker by half the value of the thrust in the opposite
     direction to the applied thrust.

     4) Measure the distance between the marker and the ship. Record
     this as the ship's new speed.

     5) Move the marker in a straight line towards the ship, until it
touches
     the base of the ship - this gives you the ship's direction of
motion
for next
     turn.

I think this is almost identical to the current real thrust system, but
the
thrust will
be applied through the whole of a turn, and not instantly at the start
of a
turn.

This doesn't cater for rotating and thrusting during the same turn,
unless
you
allow rotation to be instantaneous.

(I'll have a think about continuous rotation and thrust at the same
time)

I'm not sure what you mean by ditching discrete time - do you mean
abandoning the structure of fixed length synchronous turns ? This
would allow ships to perform actions of varying lengths, but might be
awkward to play. Could be interesting though.

Hmm...

Alun.

Prev: Re: Lifepods Next: RE: Wire Obstacles