Prev: Re: [Kind of off topic]VOTOMS Models? Next: Re: Player Locations

Re: [Kind of off topic]VOTOMS Models?

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@n...>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 15:03:28 -0400
Subject: Re: [Kind of off topic]VOTOMS Models?

At 01:35 PM 5/7/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>	With my new-found love of Armored Trooper VOTOMS, I was
wondering
>>if there were any scale models of ATs aviable.  I'm looking for the
>>smallest scale possible for games of DSII, SGII, HG, and Mecha Carnage
at
>>the best price.  Anyone know where I can find some?
>
>I'd suggest using Heavy Gear minis.  They're HO (1:87) - about 15mm?)
scale,
>and difficult to assemble (pins, drilling, scraping, ad nauseum) and
kind
of a
>bear to paint, but they look REAL good, and are pretty much great
ripoffs of
>ATVotoms (sorry, Dream Pod 9, but you do know a cool thing when you see
it).

Heh.  Actually, they're not *that* much of a ripoff -- the heavier Gears
especially -- but the basic designs are quite similar.

However, if you're interested in the HO scale minis, get 'em while you
can.
 Dream Pod 9 has terminated their contract with RAFM and is going to be
making 1/144 scale minis for Heavy Gear; pictures of the Hunter
prototype
can be found at the bottom of the Vman's page,
"http://www.dp9.com/cool/vman/index.html".  Personally, while I was
getting
annoyed with RAFM on occation over some of their mishaps, I'm... peeved
see the scale change.  Especially since I'd rather have microarmor. ^_^
(In my view, the HO scale is great for use with SGII, but the 1/144 is
too... middle of the road to use with either SGII or DSII.  Mecha
Carnage,
I dunno about.)  Their price estimate is $5-6 per fig, initally released
in
box sets of 5 (a squad) corresponding to their army lists.  Individual
blisters are currently slated for mid-1999 or so.

>Right now i use the few that I have finished as 25mm NSL warbots - they
are
>about 1.5x - 2x human height, and are really intimidating & bulky on
the
>battlefield.  Hope this helps.
>Noah V. Doyle

Also check out HobbyLink Japan; they've got the dozen Wave (good
company)
1/60th scale kits for VOTOMS.  They cost 400 yen apiece, and at the
current
exchange rate (130 yen = 1 dollar or so?) now is a good time to buy.

http://www.iac.co.jp/~hlj/pages/scifi/scifimenu.html gets you the
listing
of their SF kits; VOTOMS has its own page off there, along with a slew
of
other mecha shows. (FSS? ^_^  Though those mechs don't come is small
sizes....)

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@NERC.com

Prev: Re: [Kind of off topic]VOTOMS Models? Next: Re: Player Locations