Prev: Re: Pike Thrust[Humor Mode On] Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 3

RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:16:46 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of

You wrote:

>This reminds me of a chapter from the book First Lensman by E.E. Smith
>(The second book of the Lensmen series).  Virgil Samms is going around

[OT] I've been trying to find Lensman stuff, but Doc Smith is so out of
print in the US it's ridiculous.  I just can't find it.

>recruiting Lensman from alien races and encounters a race he has
trouble >communicating with.  Even though the Lens he wears acts a
translator some >of the concepts (like what this aliens job was) didn't
translate because >there was no human equivalent activity.  It was
refreshing to see >something that was untranslatable after watching so
much TV SciFi (ST).

E.E. Smith and some of the other greats of SF in the 30s-50s attempted
this concept.  It disturbed some readers and annoyed most editors,
except Campbell.  Campbell wanted aliens that "thought differently from
a man, but as well as a man."  It's a high challenge, and one rarely
met.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Pike Thrust[Humor Mode On] Next: RE: Obstacles, Part 3