Prev: RE: Kra'Vak, inclinations of Next: RE: FLEET BOOK (REVIEWED)

RE: Obstacles, Part 3

From: John Skelly <canjns@c...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:37:23 -0400
Subject: RE: Obstacles, Part 3

Yes I have jumped on wire and yes I've walked over someone on top of
wire.  Not the nicest thing, makes hell out of a uniform.  Yes I have
worked with pickets, a lot of pickets.	In fact I hope to never see a
picket again.

John, don't get me wrong I liked your rules.  The pioneer (engineer)
training I did was some of the funnest I ever did.  It was only the move
and clear option given to engineers that I found fault in.  I would
think along the lines of giving engineers greater ability to clear stuff
over standard infantry.  Probably around double.  My reason being that
it takes time to place a charge and to fire it off I'd guess about the
same amount of time it would take to attempt a brute force solution.
But I would think that the bangalore would have a better chance and
clear a better whole.

Speaking of pickets, have you ever done this: it is a sort of improvised
bangalore.

1. Take a 6 foot picket (for those who don't know, it is a straight
steel pole bent 90 degrees along its length, so if you were to look
along its length it looks like an 'L')
2. Fill the picket with C4
3. Attach a det cord

When detonated it works about the same as a bangalore.	We tried it with
the explosive facing up and with the metal facing up, I can't remember
what worked better.