Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Police Grav vans

Re: Nations and their size.

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 16:38:01 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Nations and their size.

You wrote:

>I know but there are wider implications for all those using the GZG
>background that have been missed. John said that the Nea Rhomanoi
Empire >had 47 worlds. Problem.

Note that this was entirely arbitrary, based on number of Themes extant
in 1025. . .

>45 planets. Now if New Israel and the Caliphate are minor powers then
>having 1 or 2 worlds seems ok. Free Cal-Tex however also has only 2
worlds >and is yet rated as a major power due to it's economy. You can
see the >implications if the Rhomanoi have 47 worlds.

Of course, the implications are that the Rhomaioi are a major power in
my background. . .

>	I have no problems with the Rhomanoi having an empire of 47
continents >because taking Earth as an average this would mean the
empire is 4-6 >worlds. Even a place like Mars can be divided up into

Hrmmmm. . . Quite possible.  I'll have to play with the numbers a bit.
Will probably work out to 4 or 5 major planets, with a half-dozen minor
colonies (probably all contested by Islamic Federation in order to make
border raiding a problem. . . )

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 3 Next: Re: Police Grav vans