Prev: Re: FT Lite Next: Re: Fwd: Some interesting stats (LONG)

Re: Obstacles, Part 2

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 12:30:20 +1000
Subject: Re: Obstacles, Part 2

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >Why no electrical stuff?

> The reason is that electrical systems are VERY touchy.

-->8--

> Given the increasing number of items that give off electro-magnetics
as
> part of their everyday operation, the possibility of mishaps has
increased
> dramatically in the modern era.

-->8--

Interesting, I hadn't considered this. Still, electronic - as opposed to
electrical - detonators will surely be developed soon. That is, a small
matchbox-sized unit that does a 2-way communication with the detonator,
and will ignore spurious signals from induction.
Something like:
 "Detonator 3456675/775679 blow up in 3.75 seconds"
 "Authentication code required : 99979"
 "GoBoom"
 "Acknowledged, WILLCO"

This should mean you have all the reliability (and more) of simple
detcord, plus the advantages of electrical ignition. Since the pack will
be solid-state and disposable, it should be even more soldier-resistant
(I REFUSE to say Soldier-Proof!). Cheap too. And the enemy can't use it
if it's dismantled.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: FT Lite Next: Re: Fwd: Some interesting stats (LONG)