Prev: Re: Young FT players (was: Re: X to GZG conversions...) Next: Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document

Re: X to GZG conversions...

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:56:15 +0200
Subject: Re: X to GZG conversions...

John Atkinson wrote:

> >What about the Scandinavians? Surely a standing contract of a Brigade

> of >Scandinavian Merc's would fit the bill perfectly?
>
> Well, you've got two 'eras' of Varangians.  Original Guard was 6,000
> Kievan Rus.  Obviously ESU Mercs, right?

Not exactly. According to the Nestor's Chronicle, these people were
mainly
Swedish sent to Constatinople by the Kievans instead of getting paid for
their services in a Kievan civil war, so Scandinavian fits the bill
better
than ESU. (The various Kiev-era Rus principalities used a LOT of
Varangian
(Swedish) mercs up 'til about 1040.)

> I guess as a compromise Scandahoovians would do, but I just like the
> idea of NAC Marines. . . Or maybe NAC ex-Marines.  :)

Well... a mercenary company responsible for the ruler's safety;
initially
hired from the (relatively non-aligned) Scandinavian Federation, but
later
on (when the SF began pulling their mercs in to counter ESU aggression)
replaced by a NAC unit?

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Young FT players (was: Re: X to GZG conversions...) Next: Re: Latest Nations/States/Organizations document