Prev: RE: What do FT/MT players use to represent missiles? Next: RE: X to GZG conversions...

Re: SV: X to GZG conversions...

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:40:46 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SV: X to GZG conversions...

You wrote:

>Not sure what they called themselves, but from 800 AD to the end of
WW1 the >Roman Empire was definitely the Germany-based one :-) It
usually included >Rome, for one thing :-/

Like the Full Thrust/Dirtside background I'm using (trying to keep
topical!) the Empire, to the very end, refered to themselves as
"Rhomaioi".  In other words, Romans.  The Emperor was titled Augustus,
Caeser, and Imperator in addition to the Greek term Basileus.  Along
with a lot of other fun things like Isoapostolis and God's Vice-Regent
on Earth. . .

At least as late as Belisarius the Army continued to march under
banners emblazoned SPQR.  So an army of Slavs, Huns, and Anatolians
commanded by a Thracian serving a Dalmatian despot who ruled an Empire
which hadn't included Rome in 70 years could call itself the Army of
the Senate and People of Rome.	And get away with it.

And BTW, the Holy Roman Empire ended in the 19th century, when Napoleon
whupped it.  But I dispute it's legitemacy in the first place.	The
Pope never had authority to crown anyone--Donation of Constantine has
been known to be a fraud for centuries.  The Roman Empire fell in 1453.

At any rate, I'm sorry I brought it up, and can we take it to
private e-mail?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: What do FT/MT players use to represent missiles? Next: RE: X to GZG conversions...