Prev: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2) Next: Re: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2)

Re: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 21:17:28 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2)

You wrote:

>Funny talking about the frequency range and power consumption for
>jamming. You may or may not be aware that some of the secure comms
>systems employed now are using a variable frequency as part of the
>security measures. So? Well, traditional wide band scanning won't
work.
>Combine this with a medium level encryption and it makes the effort
>required to intercept or interfere with tactiacal level comms very
>costly. You might find EW software developing at the same rate down
the >track but I agree that we in SGII we already ahve the EW component
>present.

I had a discussion along these lines with a friend of mine who's
retired from the SIGINT field.	He sat a minute and contemplated
exactlly what would be classified and what wouldn't be.  He then made
two simple statements.
1)The USofA does not sell communications equipment that we cannot jam
and/or intercept.
2)The United States has sold comms systems using variable frequencies
to various nations.

I leave you, as I was left, to connect the dots.

Besides, anyone think the military will ever come up with a 100%
reliable piece of equipment?  Hell, I can't name a single piece of
low-tech, 1,000 year old (in concept at least), TA-50 that I can't
imagine an improvement on.  Except the poncho liner.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2) Next: Re: EW and ESM (Was RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2)