Prev: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2

Targeting Missiles

From: dean.gundberg@b...
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 98 13:32:58 -0600
Subject: Targeting Missiles

 Just a philosophical thought here that some players might not like but
I'll
 say it anyway to see what the rest of you think (no flames please, its
just a
 question I have everytime the missile swarm subject comes up):

 Why can't a ship's main weapons (beam batteries mainly) target and fire
at
 missiles?  Sure they are small but an A-batt can fire on a mass 2
system
 defense ship that would be only slightly larger.  Missiles have a max
speed
 that is easily beaten by other ships plus missiles can't manuver (turn)
as
 well as a normal ship.  Fighters must be less than mass one so there is
 good reason why they can't be hit but I can make a ship the size of a
missile
 and I can shoot at the ship but not the missle so what is the
difference?

 A likely answer is that the missile has some stealth or jamming built
in so
 it is harder to hit but is that good enough?

 Also I like the idea of allowing ECM from the underused enhanced and
superior
 sensor systems to make missiles miss their target.

 Dean
 dean.gundberg@bcbsnd.com

Prev: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2