Prev: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions Next: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:32:57 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

You wrote:

>	It's not that my group (who has dropped FT for a while to play
in
a >Flintloque campaign) field a couple of Intergalactic

Now, there is nothing wrong with Flintloque.  I play Flintloque.  Fun
game, but best played slightly intoxicated, and not to be taken
seriously.

>complaining."	(Favorite story:  One numbskull got the idea to mount
50 >Kra'Vak scatterpacks on his ship.)

We've discussed various ways to 'balance[1]' Kra'Vak ships in our
group.	The current prevailing opinion is to make scatterpacks do 1
point of damage, end of discussion.  Plus rail guns do their size
class, never double.  I'm not real fond of these ideas, but. . .

>	In their humble opinion, traditional fleet composition makes FT
"wet >navy game in space rather than a space game."  They lambaste

I don't suppose any of them have read any David Weber?	He's more or
less the only SF spacefleet author worth reading, AFAIK.  Escorts play
a biiiig role in his universes.  Except Mutineer's Moon, where nothing
but really fast uberships run around.  Oh, well.

escorts as
>"popcorn ships."  They believe that our concept of fleet tactics makes
>FT "too British."  (Yes, these are actual quotes.)

Too British?  Since when did the Brits invent small ships?  I thought
the British were the ones who invented Dreadnoughts.

>	When I playtested FTIII with them, they were NOT amused with the
>construction rules for the following reasons:

FTIII??  What?	Where?

John M. Atkinson

[1]I've never actually played with Kra'Vak ships on the field yet, so
all I know is what these guys think of it.  And my opinion of their
opinion is slipping fast.

Prev: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions Next: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions