Prev: Kravak Rail Guns: another idea Next: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

From: Jonathan white <jw4@b...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:18:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

>	IT IS NOT WRONG FOR YOU TO DISCUSS GW ON THIS LIST.  It's all
right for
>you to discuss other gaming backgrounds and topics.  Just bring it into
>context of the GZG products.  For example: It's perfectly all right for
>you to compare say... Heavy Gear with DSII, suggest or post rules to
>convert Heavy Gear to DSII (Why I don't know. I think HG is fine the
way
>it is), or just to give an overall review.  However, IT IS NOT OK, for
>instance, to go posting your new Hunter or Kodiak variant on this
>mailing list.
Quite so. While, as with any group of educated sociable people, topics
do
tend to wander over time (Sten guns? I mean really..) I would ask people
keep in mind the reason the list is here - which is to discuss and
propogate the playing of Mr. Tuffley's excellent games and all their
paraphenalia. To that end, I would say that conversions from GW's (or
anybody else's for that matter) rule system is a perfectly valid topic -
after all, one of the main reasons people stay with games is intertia
over
all the pieces or figures they have built up.
I think that, in general, a discussion of the merits of games however
isn't
a valid topic. I don't want the list to end up with running fights as to
whether SGII is better than Mutant Chronicles or whatever.

In terms of GW and their stuff, we all *know* how errmm... less than
egalitarian their pricing policies and business pracices are. I don't
think
we need to go over them again.

Although (he said) I did find an interview with Steve Livingstone in the
latest SFX very enlightening, both in terms of the story of the start of
GW
and the fact that he actually states that GW's policy is that the
figures
make the money and therefore everything else is geared towards creating
and
improving markets for figures. This is the business policy that leads to
lot of the faults in GW's games - like over the top hero figures, new
editions, codex books etc..

		TTFN
			Jon

Prev: Kravak Rail Guns: another idea Next: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions