Prev: Re: Request (UK) Next: Re: Introduction to the list

RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

From: "Geo-Hex" <geohex@t...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:21:10 +0000
Subject: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

> From: 	 Kueck H <KueckH@aol.com>
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Date: 	 Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:11:04 EDT
> To:		 ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

Wow!!  Thanks for the input.  Having the actual organizations and
NAMES for the command levels is great.	I believe that Nic at Eureka
is doing some figures for NSL light infantry - perhaps we could use
this organization for those troops??

KR, Geo-Hex

> Hi everyone !!!
>
> Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> >I believe (when I was in CF Infantry Reserve) we used (at least
> >locally) an organization of three sections (didn't call them squads)
> >to a platoon. Typically each section was about ten guys (varied
> >depending on available strength). And then there was a platoon
> >weapons det that consisted of about another 8 guys. We had each
> >section led by a MCpl or Sgt, and the platoon was lead by a Sgt. or a
> >Warrant Officer (a bigger better Sgt. to those used to American
> >ranks). The Platoon was commanded by a 1Lt. or a 2Lt. depending on
> >what officers were available.
>
> Just to give a german (i.e.: Bundeswehr) perspective on platoon
> organisation (I served in the Jaeger Kompanie of a Panzergrenadier
Btl.
>  from 1986 to 1988):
> At least up to the end of the Cold War a German Jaeger-Zug (light-
resp.
> foot-infantry) was organized of two ''fighting'' Gruppen
(squads/sections...
> whatever) and one Zug-Trupp. All consisted of around 10 men, incl. one
> Milan-ATGM, two snipers (trained for independant action as a team, but
> normally operating with the squad) and one Panzerfaust each. The main
> difference was, that the Command Squad had a longer ranged radio
> (in addition to the ''Walkie Talkie'') and no MG.
> The Platoon Leader was a Hauptfeldwebel (senior NCO) with a Felwebel
> as second in command, the squads were led by junior NCOs
(Unteroffiziere).
> Only the first platoon would be led by an Officer (Leutnant or
Oberleutnant),