Prev: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Disruptor Cannon

Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 02:30:14 +0200
Subject: Re: Dirtside to epic conversions

Peter Ramos wrote:

> Over sevral months I have compiled many ideas and conversions for GW's
line of
> epic miniatures.

Ah. OK. Your subject line indicated that you had converted *Dirtside*
units
to *GW's* rules...

You're not the only one who wanted to use your GW figures for something
sensible <g> (though the latest version of Epic actually plays very
nicely... now if they could cut the price in half, allow people to use
other manufacturer's models and REFRAIN FROM ADDING EXTRA RULES I'd be a
lot happier to play it :-/ )

Have a look at Andy Cowell's DSII page
(http://www.cs.utk.edu/¨cowell/min/ds2/), for example. I think there
are
others floating around on the 'net too, but I don't have any addresses
handy anyway. I know I whipped up stats for my Eldar forces the first
thing
I did when I got my copy (lots of lasers and gravtanks, basically <g>).

There are at least four different sets of Babylon 5 adaptions for Full
Thrust, so another Epic conversion won't be redundant <g>

Not all of us are as anti-GW as Trevor - in fact, lots of us use their
models (after all, they're available just about everywhere...). Of
course,
I don't think anyone on this list likes their price and "pureness"
policies

> On a side note, I have seen that a series of figs for DS II are
becoming
> available. Does anyone know what else is in the makings? Will we see
powered
> armor troops and other armored vehicles?

Depends on what you mean with "figs for DSII" :-/ GZG makes 6mm infantry
based on their 25mm NSL troops, as well as 6mm versions of their 25mm
vehicles. There are pictures of many of those vehicles at Geo-Hex's
homepage (http://www.geohex.com/dsm01.htm); the full listing of what's
available can be found at the GZG on-line catalogue at
http://homepages.enterprise.net/paulowen/gzg/index.html . No power
armour
yet, but they'll probably appear in the future.

However, although these models are made by the same company as DSII, the
rules are written so that literally any (non-mecha) 6mm infantry or
vehicle
models can be used. Your choice of words - "a series of figs for DSII
are
becoming available" - sound almost as if these GZG models are the canon
models required to play the game (much like GW wants us to believe their
models are...), and... well, they aren't. (I don't think you intended to
make it sound like that, but... I've seen very similar reactions from
people who simply couldn't grasp the notion of a game _without_ a canon
must-have figure range far too often. Like those who play WHFB with GW
figures, Raven with Harlequin figures, and Chronopia with Heartbreaker
figures... and wouldn't dream of mixing the three :-( )

Any 6mm range can be used in DSII, there are lots of them that have been
available a long time already, and this is just one more. A good-looking
but fairly expensive one, but still just one more.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Disruptor Cannon