Prev: Re: <ot>Bren Guns</ot> Next: Re: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject

Re: Nations, States and Organizations

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:44:40 +0200
Subject: Re: Nations, States and Organizations

Peter Mancini wrote:

> Perhaps we can make this a
> group effort and fill in the holes that I initially filled in with
jokes.
> Who knows, if this gets to be detailed enough perhaps it can be used
as a
> "serious" tool for designing scenarios and picking fights.

Some comments to the file:

"...that might not be GZG canon..."

According to Jon, there is no such thing as a GZG canon - or, if it is,
it
is vague enough to cover a huge lot of interpretations :-/ The rest of
my
comments should be read with this in mind:

I very strongly doubt that the Eurasian Union would use the abbreviation
EU. That stands for the European Union, which according to the timeline
doesn't split into the FSE and NSL until 2101 whereas the Chinese and
Russian amalgamation occurs in 2047. (You call the European Union the
"EC",
but the name and abbreviation was changed in favour of "EU" some years
ago
- after FT2 went to print, though.) Therefore the references to the "EC"
in
the FSE, NSL and IF sections should be "EU" instead :-/

Indonesia might have slipped down to Minor Power status, but if so it is
still the most powerful Minor Power around. Most of their wars have been
successful (...ie, they haven't had to cede any territory so far :-/ ),
and
they should have the second largest population of any state - only the
ESU
(with both China and India) would be bigger (with the PAU as a close
third), and they probably have a very strong economy too (since all of
the
current Tiger economies have been absorbed into the IC).

Japan was more or less a NAC protectorate for a long time (noted in the
DSII future history), but it seems to be reasserting its independence
now.

Switzerland is NOT the home of the Nobel Peace Prize. Norway (part of
the
Scandinavian Federation) is.

Also, Switzerland might be peaceful, but they're hardly pacifists - the
reason they've managed to stay out of so many wars is that no-one in
their
right minds really wants to invade a mountain fortress where each and
every
able-bodied man (and women too, in a not-too-far future) is armed and
prepared to
defend the place :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: <ot>Bren Guns</ot> Next: Re: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject