Prev: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject Next: Re: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject

Re: Dieppe

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:48:55 +1000
Subject: Re: Dieppe

Thomas E Hughes wrote:

> I read something by the radar expert who went along on the raid, he
had a
> team with him who were instructed to kill him if there was any chance
at
> all of him being captured!!!!  Needless to say he was VVVery
careful!!!
> He was checking to see if the Germans had found out about the
"cavitron'
> [they hadn't.]

This is in accordance with my info. Also, it seems, SOP on such raids
(Brunneval is the most famous). Peter Ustinov directed a film about the
Boffins post-war which is a melange of real incidents, and includes this
one.
Along with the Radar party, there was a group of 2 that 'dropped out'
for a few minutes, then came back as a group of 3 just before
evacuation. In the process they got a lot of the data which had been
squirrelled away (and some coming via Czechoslovakia, as someone posted
recently).
The Heisenberg team were nowhere near an A-bomb. But if they'd gotten
this data, who knows what would have happened? Certainly the capture
cross-section stuff (in Barns) was most useful in the US.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject Next: Re: OFF TOPIC was Re: French Fries - A Weighty Subject