Prev: Re: Stargrunt II Campaign. Next: Back on topic, was Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, nomessages?)

RE: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:04:33 -0500
Subject: RE: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

-Also for those who don't know it the Battle of New Orleans was fought
-two months after the War of 1812 was over.  And to that person (I
forget
-who now) who wished Toronto had stayed burnt....well phhhhhhhttttttt!
-David Best

Fair's fair, David; I don't think he said he wished Toronto would have
stayed burned, just that he assumed there were those in Canada who'd
wish
so, as he wished Washington, DC, were. Course, I would have thought he
meant Ottawa, but I'm terrible with geography... Or translating what
someone meant(viz. 'editing B5 off of C4', or something like that)...

Now, the first part of the paragraph hits on something I always dreamt
of
in a campaign system: communications so bad, you'd end up fighting the
wrong enemy, or wasting effort on an objective no longer important. I'm
reminded of the Gregory Peck-as-Horatio Hornblower movie where he
captures
a Spanish Galleon and presents it to a rebellous New World Spanish
governor, only to find out that Spain and Britain were allies, and have
capture it all over again. ;->=

It's crazy, but with PBeM and clubs around the world to either be the
home
admiralties, or fight the distant fleet actions, it's almost possible.
One
central receipient server to take the orders and translate them into
battles, send out multiple copies and slightly adjusted
orders-of-battle('Oh, that destroyer developed jump engine problems and
had
to be left behind...') to keep the action 'blind'.

Oh, geeze, that IS crazy!

Nevermind...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Stargrunt II Campaign. Next: Back on topic, was Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, nomessages?)