Prev: Re: Fwd: sci-fi ftl drives Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Re: Stargrunt II Campaign.

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 18:45:58 -0700
Subject: Re: Stargrunt II Campaign.

Peter Mancini wrote:

> Hello all,
> I just joined this mailing list last night. I am interested in both
> Stargrunt II and FT. I've come to really appreciate the design of both
> games over the years. My first encounter with Jon's games was about 5
years
> ago when a friend picked them up and lent them to me. He had FT and
> Dirtside II. I liked FT and the concept of Dirtside was appealing but
the
> chit pulling scheme slowed the game down to much for us.
>
> I had stopped playing the games until about a year and a half ago I
picked
> up SGII. I played some of that and found it to be a great game. I even
> reviewed the game and gave it an 8 out of 10 at the time. Given how
much I
> still like it I would easily up that to 9 or 10 out of 10. I don't
> generally give high marks above 8 unless something really sticks with
me
> and SGII has.
>
> Recently I have considered putting together a campaign game based on
one I
> tried to run in 1985. Back then I was using GDW's Striker and the only
> module ever produced for it Broadsword. This module left surprising
amounts
> of latitude in the scenarios (mainly I guess because there were no
damn
> figures out for the game!) I want to change the names of the players
> fall into line with the given FT background. I've also want to change
some
> of the motivations. I used to play the GDW Assault series of board
games. I
> saved all of the maps which were de-marked with scale 250 meter hexes.
Thus
> 4 hexes = 1 klick. These maps are perfect for running the small type
of
> campaign I want. Since I have so many maps and they are geomorphic I
could
> easily map out any distance or range from the Starport as needed!
>
> What I was thinking of doing was having 3 or 4 factions in the game.
The
> rebel indigenous population, the mildly despotic off-world governing
force
> (a client ally of one of the Super-Powers), the mercs, and the
insidious
> off-world meddling super-power and their client allies.  What I need
> know is who should be who? The maps are marked with German-esque place
> names so I was thinking the local government would be a client of the
NSL
> as they seemed to be of somewhat Germanic origin. Who should the
others be?

> Any help appreciated.
Peter,
     If the names are germanic on the towns and such, that makes the
locals of germanic background.	 The only real trouble will be finding
a current or former enemy of the Germans that is only 'mildly despotic'.
The ESU and the FSE both come to mind.	 One could assert that the RH/
Poland may be on that list as will as the New Israel government.
     Once you decide who the 'mild despot' will be, the rest
automatically falls into place.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Fwd: sci-fi ftl drives Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)