Prev: Re: Ship Naming Convention (off topic Celts etc.) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Stargrunt II Campaign.

From: "Peter Mancini" <Peter_Mancini@o...>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:57:06 -0400
Subject: Stargrunt II Campaign.

Hello all,
I just joined this mailing list last night. I am interested in both
Stargrunt II and FT. I've come to really appreciate the design of both
games over the years. My first encounter with Jon's games was about 5
years
ago when a friend picked them up and lent them to me. He had FT and
Dirtside II. I liked FT and the concept of Dirtside was appealing but
the
chit pulling scheme slowed the game down to much for us.

I had stopped playing the games until about a year and a half ago I
picked
up SGII. I played some of that and found it to be a great game. I even
reviewed the game and gave it an 8 out of 10 at the time. Given how much
still like it I would easily up that to 9 or 10 out of 10. I don't
generally give high marks above 8 unless something really sticks with me
and SGII has.

Recently I have considered putting together a campaign game based on one
tried to run in 1985. Back then I was using GDW's Striker and the only
module ever produced for it Broadsword. This module left surprising
amounts
of latitude in the scenarios (mainly I guess because there were no damn
figures out for the game!) I want to change the names of the players to
fall into line with the given FT background. I've also want to change
some
of the motivations. I used to play the GDW Assault series of board
games. I
saved all of the maps which were de-marked with scale 250 meter hexes.
Thus
4 hexes = 1 klick. These maps are perfect for running the small type of
campaign I want. Since I have so many maps and they are geomorphic I
could
easily map out any distance or range from the Starport as needed!

What I was thinking of doing was having 3 or 4 factions in the game. The
rebel indigenous population, the mildly despotic off-world governing
force
(a client ally of one of the Super-Powers), the mercs, and the insidious
off-world meddling super-power and their client allies.  What I need to
know is who should be who? The maps are marked with German-esque place
names so I was thinking the local government would be a client of the
NSL
as they seemed to be of somewhat Germanic origin. Who should the others
be?

Any help appreciated.

Prev: Re: Ship Naming Convention (off topic Celts etc.) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)