Prev: RE: Ship Naming Convention Next: Heralrdy

RE: Ship Naming Convention

From: "BEST, David" <dbest@s...>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 06:13:13 -0600
Subject: RE: Ship Naming Convention

I'll just jump in once about this thread.  How about WWII Japanese
ships.	I believe that many of them that weren't named after
geographical areas had names that translated into "nature themes" like
Cherry Blossom or Breeze from a mountain.

David Best

<rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Not sufficiently "hard as nails", apparently.  It sounded to me as
> >if the Navy should be teaching a bit more history to its recruits.
Then
> >again, I do think we have plenty of better names and historic ships
> >honour before starting a "Duke" (not even Duchy) class.
>
> What was the ship's name?
>
> And you'd think that if ANYONE had a right to complain about their
ship
>names
> it would have been the crew of the Flower class destroyers during
WWII. I
>mean
> Gladiolus (an actual name) sure strikes fear in MY heart, how about
you?

> Allan Goodall        agoodall@sympatico.ca>>
>

>Remembering a certain freind of mines most feared ship design, (The
system
>escapes me it was about 16 years ago, though the name/ship keeps
appearing in
>his fiction and he keeps threatining a re-design :) a Mercenary Cruiser
by
>the
>name of:
>(As translated from an alien language of the game)
>

>"Little yellow Flower, repose on a field of Crimson"
>
>As I recall, ship and commander took out a fair number of Heavy
Cruisers and
>at least one Light Battleship as I recall. Guess who commanded the
BB(L)  :)