Prev: Re: Ship Naming Inconvience Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention

Re: Painting FAQ

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:25:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Painting FAQ

Tim,
     I can only say that I was very suprised when I found your site.
And now for round two of "Camo-in-Space".

NSL:
     The base coat is black with at least two or three progressively
lighter grays dry brushed with less 'force/paint' in each application.
The NSL is divided into groups, the NSL proper; with the Austrian flag
painted high on the rear of the ship w/ black eagle added (from decals).
The FSB (Frei Stadt Beyern) has the Bavarian flag at the same location,
again from decals, applied over a painted white field.
The heavy cruiser has been a favorite for modification of the design.

Sha'VasKu:
     The Sha'VasKu are painted a very dark brown base coat with not
less than four lighter browns in lighter applications (drybrush),
the last two layers are yellow and a pale yellow VERY spareingly
applied to the highest levels on the model.   The tips of the points
are drybrushed deep red with brighter reds toward the very tip.
If you want a larger ship, take the nine point heavy cruiser and
attach the six point cruiser below.   I tend to bend the tips very
slightly down, this gives the ships a 'grasping/claw' look.

FCT (Free Cal Tex):
     All ships are base coated with light/medium gray.	The overcoat
is an offwhite/cream (drybrush) color with a final coat of snow
white (drybrush) lightly applied.   Trim on panels is in red, blue
and yellow,   The engines are steel with silver highlights.
The FCT has been the subject of extensive modification for nearly
every class and ship.	Number 6 and 7.5 lead shot is useful for
domes, if you can get it.   The 'Wings and things' pack comes in
very handy when doing the FCT.	 The favorite ship for modification
is the Battledreadnought.

Dutch:
     The ships used for the Dutch are the Traveller scout as a DD,
and the Rafm #630 as a heavy cruiser.

Kra'Vak:
     The Kra'Vak-D'rk is my clan.   The ships live up to the name
with the flat black, gloss black, and steel paint job.	 The D'rk
are a small and disadvantaged clan that frequently do not have
adequate supplies of railguns for thier ships.	 Most of the
escorts only carry class 1 railguns and the cruisers class 2,
the capital ships do have class 3 railguns but normally mount
fewer than the mass would normally indicate.  The D'rk ships
are subject to frequent modification and salvage so they do
not conform the the normal Kra'vak ship profiles.
(The points ratio of Kra'Vak to Human of 3:2 works quite well
during a game/campaign.

Bye for now,
JTL

Prev: Re: Ship Naming Inconvience Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention