Prev: Re: Traveller Starships Next: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules

Re: Ammo supply in DS and SG

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:12:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Ammo supply in DS and SG

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Michael Brown wrote:

> Here is my first attempt:
>
> AMMUNITION CHART Dirtside II
> Direct Fire Systems	Shots per Space
> Size
> RFAC/1, MDC/1,2, LAD		45
> RFAC/2, MDC/3,4, DFFG/1, ADS	30
> HVC/3, HKP/3, MDC/5, DFFG/2	20
> HVC/4, HKP/4, DFFG/3, GMS/L	10
> HVC/5, HKP/5, DFFG/4		5
> DFFG/5, GMS/H 		3
> APSW		N/A
> DF Laser (HEL)	N/A
> Infantry SA	N/A
>
> SLAM
> Size	Salvoes per Space
> SLAM/3		4
> SLAM/4		3
> SLAM/5		2
>
> IAVR	3 (per stand)
>
> Indirect Fire Systems
> Size	Salvoes per Space
> Light 20
> Medium	15
> Heavy 10

There's already ammo limits for artillery...

<snippage>

There's obviously a fair bit of work put in here, but I really have to
ask if its needed...If I'd wanted to track every vehicles ammo use with
every gun, I'd have continued playing Car Wars...one reason I switched
DS2 was the lack of paperwork.

It seems to me that at the DS2 level, the way to do ammo use/logistics
is
at a more abstract level than this - rather than each gun and each
vehicle, have some 'logistics value' per combat vehicle, based on
size/type. 'Logistics value' would cover ammo & fuel supply and basic
maintenence - and only if the logistics points of the combat arm
outwiegh
the logistics support system's value do you have to start cutting
corners,
having tanks enter combat with some sort of restriction on firing.

I'd have the restriction on firing be something simple as well, maybe
'No
engaging targets in your long-range band' (because you're more likely to
miss, and waste scarce ammo). A morale hit would also be appropriate, I
think. Maybe movement restrictions as well, if appropriate - 2/3
possible
movement only, maybe - remembering that FGP-equipped vehicles don't
_have_
gas worries...

An abstracted 'logistics point' systems seems be the way to handle it, I
think - as a Brigade Commander you have QM staff to worry about details,
while you're the 'big picture' person (hopefully).

My $0.02,

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: Traveller Starships Next: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules