Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Traveller Starships

Re: Traveller Starships

From: Jim Bell & Christine Hartig <jnbell@i...>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 23:04:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Traveller Starships

IronLimper wrote:

> > Traveller Starships
> > Does anyone know what happened to the recent Traveller starships
range?
> >I believe they were by RAFM.
> >They did some really nice ships and promised more (the
Broadsword...).
> > Can you still get them?
>
> At least two of the Traveller ship figs morphed into Silent Death
fighters. I
> don't recall the class names in either game but I'll try a short typed
> description from memory:
There were five ships that made the morph after RAFM released them as
Traveller miniatures and one that I would say made the morph before
release as a Traveller miniature.
Within the Silent Death context the ships are all part of the Universal
Nightwatch supplement. There order numbers and names are:
649  Hornet (released as Traveller)
650  Javelin (released as Traveller)
651  Rattler (released as Traveller)
652  Equalizer
653  Praying Mantis (released as Traveller)
654  Firebat (released as Traveller)

I couldn't tell you what they were called as Traveller miniatures
though.

> 1) The first had a plan-form similar to a modern fighter in that it
had wing-
> like appendages on the rear of the ship. The nose was squared off in
cross
> section, but came to a sharp point. The wings were thick and had 3
gun/missile
> tubes on the leading edge of each "wing". From above the wings were
roughtly
> trapazoidal (long edge attatched to the fuselage) in shape. In our
games I
> call 'em destroyers.
These are the Praying Mantis ship within the SD background, as a
traveller ship it was packaged four to a blister. The SD version is 2 or
3 per blister.

> 2) Second are the flying stovepipes. Cylindrical with limited
protrusions.
> Small "wings" in the rear that resemble the horizontal surfaces on a
WWII
> torpedo. Some sort of weapons snugged underneath the "stabilizers". A
> bridge/low conning tower thing in the middle on the top. Some bumps
forward
> and on the the bow of the ship some inset gun/missile tubes --three I
believe.
> This ship appeared on the cover of a Silent Death sourcebook, though
again I'm
> not sure which one. Light Cruisers in our games.
This is the Javelin, as a traveller ship it was packaged 4 to a blister
and now ships 2 to a blister.

The Hornet has an oval shaped forward section with a wedge shaped rear
section which slopes up, on the sloped surface are three rows of three
circles. This section of the miniature als0 contained the small coils to
the left and right of the launch tubes (as I refer to the circles). The
miniature is great for a destoyer that carries missiles or SMP's. This
ship is also on the cover of the Universal Night Watch book in the upper
left corner.

The Rattler is a small ship with three engines thrusters, one centerline
and one on each wing. The wings also each have a large cylinder pointing
forward from close to the end of the wing. This ship is also on the
cover of the Universal Night Watch book in the lower left corner.

The Firebat is the smallest of the ships and is an asymmetric design.
The right side of the ship is a small wing (at least in my mind) and has
a cylinder similiar to the Rattlers pointing forward. The left could be
referenced to as a stovepipe with some detailing and an thruster on the
rear.

I don't know if anyone can use these (poor) descriptions to cross
reference the Silent Death names and ship to the original Traveller
releases, but that's the best your getting from me.

Jim

Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Traveller Starships