Prev: Re: Help?

Re: DS2 Moonbase Xi

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:46:05 +0000
Subject: Re: DS2 Moonbase Xi

> Attackers:
>
>   Only Direct Fire weapons (RFAC, HVC, HKP, MDC, HEL, DFFG)
>	Most missiles still use fin stablilization and are therefore too
>	unstable to be effective.
>
> Wouldn't the main concern with using missiles in a vacuum whether or
not
> they use fins/lifting body/thrusters to maneuver?  (After all, since
> there's no atmosphere, there's nothing to cause instabilities in the
> flight path.)
>
> So, in other words, the missiles will fly normally, or they'll fly
like
> big, fat, slow rockets.  (8-)

This is what I meant by unstable. Most missile launchers do not move to
aim the missiles at the target in the same way that a direct fire weapon
does. This is especially true in Guided Missile Systems (GMS).
  GMS' may swivel the launcher to face the direction of the target but
usually don't have the fine motor control to place the missile on target
(horizontally and vertically). They may face the target, but relies on
the missile to fine tune the aim and hit the target.
 Salvo Launched Missiles (SLAM) probably have this fine tunning but rely
on fin stabilization of the missile to keep it on course. The targeting
program would also need to be adjusted for the lighter gravity (as would
any mass projecting weapon).

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: Help?